Mitch first got the passion for starting horses and teaching horsemanship whilst working for Stanbroke Pastoral Company in Queensland 2001 and going on to acquiring over 15 years’ experience in the equine industry, from handling to starting horses including broodmares/foals, yearlings, stallions and colts. Mitch met his wife Leiza in 2005, soon after meeting they established their business ‘Mitch Gollan Horsemanship’.
The driving force behind his passion is the challenge to connect with a horse through feel, timing and balance. His training methods allow the horse to learn with confidence and trust. This has been proven time and time again by the successful breaking & training methods applied, which aren’t about breaking their soul/spirit, it’s about creating a connection and having a horse willing to work with you.
Mitch’s journey so far has allowed him to gain hands on experience whilst developing the training methods which he incorporates today.
This experience includes but is not limited to the following:
• Head Stockman (Stanbroke Pastoral), also creating and writing (with Glen West) the Stanbroke New Employee Induction Program, which was designed to teach the new employees safe and educational facts about horses and how to implement the techniques in the paddock.
• A strong family unit that have spent years traveling around Australia, mostly VIC, QLD, NT and SA Pastoral Stations starting their plain horses and conducting clinics and lessons in all levels of Horsemanship and doing liberty training.
• Mitch has handled and broken over 1100 horses including station bred stock horses, brumbies, quarter horses, warmbloods, Arabians, international thoroughbred race horses for the Malaysian National Stud Farm.
• A wealth of competition experience including winning 2008 Cloncurry Show Stockmans Challenge, 2009 Runner up in the National Invitation RM Williams Campdraft, Champion Stanbroke Super Colt, Finalist for the NRA Bull Riding Competition, Winner of a long list of maiden and open drafts.
• Approximately 7 years experience judging Stockmans Challenges, Campdrafts, Two handed Cutting, Team Penning.
Now residing in Gippsland, Victoria Mitch is working on a variety of horses from sales preparation (racing industry), further education for horses destined for Polocrosse, commencing campaigning horses for working stock horse classes and campdrafts, re-education of horses, regular clinics and lessons across Australia.
Mitch has a strong desire to educate and support people on their journey to achieving their goals regardless of their age or chosen discipline, with satisfaction achieved in seeing his students smile with gratitude when they overcome significant challenges that they have been facing for some time and are then inspired to achieve more.